I learned from ehow.com about How to Direct Connect a Windows laptop to an Ubuntu Laptop, quoted as follows:
- Power on both computers.
- Plug the crossover cable into each computer's respective ethernet port.
- Set the Windows computer to use a static IP address.
- Set the Linux computer to use a static IP address. The two computers should now be able to communicate.
I was wondering:
- How to set up to use a static IP address in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.10 with WICD?
- When finishing the four steps, what softwares to run on the two computers for them to see each other and transfer files from/to each other?
- If the same method applies to any two OSes? For example, Windows and Windows, Ubuntu and Ubuntu?
Thanks and regards!