Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Windows 7 you can drag the title bar of a window that has been maximized and the window will "restore down" and let you drag it. Is this behavior possible in XP?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Might also check out Stardock's WindowFX.

share|improve this answer
Wow, this looks great! Works like I want and has more features like the Win7 shake. Thanks! – wes Feb 14 '11 at 22:07

There is a program similar to this called AeroSnap. It's in BETA but it's free and very useful in Windows XP.

AeroSnap is a simple but powerful application that allows you to resize, arrange or maximize your desktop windows with just drag'n'drop.

Simple drag a window to a side of your desktop to snap it or drag it to the top to maximize.

When you drag it back to the last position, the last window size will be restored. Really easy, isn't it?

It also works with multiple monitors!

Download available here.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, this seems to do what I want. Unfortunately I don't really like the way it does it. I guess the answer here is that it is possible if I want to write the app that does it. – wes Feb 14 '11 at 20:29
aerosnap seems to have gone now – Matthew Lock Aug 6 '13 at 5:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.