Having kernel IO errors in the console, extremely slow boots, and reproducible freezes.
- Macbook Pro Early 2008
- 4 GB ram
- 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT HDD/SSD hybrid drive (installed late 2010)
- Up to date firmware (SD24) a couple weeks after installation (no problems since, until now)
- OS X 10.6.6
- BootCamp Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I have a small portion of the console output here (drop box link to .rtf)
Windows 7 Partition works fine. Boots normal, operates normal.
I get the line
kernel disk0s2: I/O error a lot. It is reproducible on:
- Right click on anything on the dock (~5-10s hang, no beachball)
- Wrench icon in Chrome (latest version) (~45-60s hang, no menu, beachball, then ~20-40s hang, menu open, no beachball)
- Resolution change or external monitor connected (dvi-vga, been using it for > a year) (~20-30s hang on blue screen, then ~10-40s hang on desktop, readjusting sizes)
- Choosing a space from Spaces (~1-6s hang)
It also happens other times, that I'm sure have a pattern, I just haven't seen yet, but I don't think it is random.
What I have tried:
- Using Disk Utility from within OS X to verify the partition, check/repair permissions
- no major problems found
- Using Disk utility from the snow leopard disk to repair the partition
- no problems found
- do a disk check from within windows 7
- Using OnyX to clear system/user cache
- No effect
- Using OnyX to check S.M.A.R.T status
- Using OnyX to verify disk
- No problems found
- Using original system disks to perform "Apple Hardware Diagnostics" (quick and extended)
- No problems found
Any ideas? I haven't yet tried reinstalling OSX. I have fairly up to date backups (time machine in OS X and manual in Windows 7) - but I'd prefer to not have to format the hard drive.
Edit: Boot time is ~4-10 minutes for OS X. Still ~1 minute for Windows
Edit 2: Forgot to mention - spotlight is slow, or non functioning. This may be due to the disk scans and such. OnyX has an option to re index that I haven't had a chance to try yet.
Update did a restore from a time machine backup from before the issues, now it won't boot at all. Hangs at apple loading logo for 30+ minutes.
Update 2: Did a "fresh install" of system files over my existing partition. I assumed this would erase everything. Fortunately (though I don't know how) when it booted (in < 1m) after the install, my files were there from the restore point I tried in update 1. No more errors, and it's running fine. I think it had to be some system file(s) corrupted, causing it.