Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I did read the grammar section of xmodmap but still couldn't figure out how I could do it.

share|improve this question
May be there is a way to map Ctrl-p/Ctrl-n to behave as up/down keys directly from gnome. Anyone? – VitoshKa Aug 14 '11 at 12:21

This isn't easily possible.

As the xmodmap man page states:

The first keysym is used when no modifier key is pressed in conjunction with
this key, the second with Shift, the third when the Mode_switch key is used
with this key and the fourth when both the Mode_switch and Shift keys are used.

By default, AltGr is the Mode_switch key.

It is possible to map a different or additional (to AltGr) as the Mode_switch key, e.g. the right Ctrl key:

xmodmap -e "keycode 105 = Mode_switch Mode_switch"

The problem however is that the key then won't work as normal Ctrl key anymore.

Btw: There is a question, which asks for precisely, how to use the Ctrl key as a modifier key: How to use Control as modifier with xmodmap?

share|improve this answer


xmodmap -e "keycode 33 = p P Up"

and let me know if it's the result you're looking for.

share|improve this answer

As nidi said, that isn't easily possible with xmodmap.
However it's super easy with AutoKey.
See the following answer as an example:

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .