Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

in windows there is a program called keyboard jedi that shows what keys are pressed on the keyboard. is there an equivalent for linux?

share|improve this question

migrated from stackoverflow.com Feb 21 '11 at 16:10

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

6 Answers 6

There is xev program for graphic mode. Man of xev is here http://linux.die.net/man/1/xev On ubuntu/debian it is packed into x11-utils package.

share|improve this answer

Others have mentioned xev, which is good when you're running X11. When you're at the console, however, showkey is what you want.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to the ranks of the Stack Athletes. –  Dennis Williamson Mar 2 '11 at 10:55

If you are looking for something that graphically shows you what key is pressed currently (perhaps for the corner of a screencast), key-mon might be the ticket.

share|improve this answer

If you're at a shell prompt, you can press Ctrl-v then the key of interest to see what the output is. For example, on my system, pressing Ctrl-v then Right Arrow shows ^[[C which means Escape, Left Bracket, C.

As others have mentioned, xev is the way to go for X11.

share|improve this answer

Also screenkey. Which is based on mon-key.

share|improve this answer

You'd be wanting xev.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.