Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I work with tables in MS Word a lot, and inside those tables I often have numbered lists.

I would like to have the "TAB" key primarily function to increase indent, and then secondarily be used to tab between cells. Currently, MS Word "TAB" defaults to change cell, whereas I would want it to increase indent and then when I escape the numbered list, to regular in-cell formatting, use the "TAB" key to move to the next cell.

Any ideas?

MS Word 11 for Mac, but anything is helpful (even for windows versions, e.g. 2007)

Maybe this post isn't up to this forum's level, but I haven't found any answers elsewhere.

share|improve this question
I'm not sure if you can reconfigure Word in this manner. You can indent inside a table cell by pressing CTRL+TAB though, if you didn't know. –  Patches Feb 21 '11 at 23:39
Yeah, it does indent -- but doesn't indent the number level. –  kalaracey Feb 22 '11 at 16:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.