Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a Microsoft Natural keyboard, which has an almost broken cable. The cable's outer isolation broke right outside the casing. Now I wanted to cut that part of the cable and simply solder the cable to the board (As I thought the cable was attached by soldering already).

However, as I opened the keyboard I saw that there is a connector which looks quite like this one:

enter image description here

Now I have a few questions. What are connectors like this called. I need the name to buy the right crimp tool. The housing of the connector could be reused, thus I only need the inner metallic parts for crimping. As this would have a very small diameter my question is if this might be the right tool?

enter image description here

A friend has this crimp tool but it would probably be of no use, as it is only for bigger cables. This one is here:

enter image description here

Has anyone any experience with this stuff? Or any suggestions of a nice and clean solution without a crimp tool? I'd be happy for any suggestions. If nothing works, I could still solder the cable to the board, but a connector is in my opinion the prettier solution.

share|improve this question
I would solder it before I'd buy a crimping tool I'm likely to never use again, but that's me. – Shinrai Feb 22 '11 at 0:05
@Shinrai The tool would be about 18 bucks (I'd buy a cheap one not the one from the post g). That is cheaper than a new keyboard and i have missed the tool a few times before. I think it won't be the last time i use it. – Darokthar Feb 22 '11 at 0:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It looks like a pretty standard 4 pin polarized molex interconnect. I do not think one actually crimps the connector, but rather crimps these contacts to the wires and slides them into the housing. I agree with Shinrai that it would be easier to splice in, and solder to the exposed wires in the picture.

share|improve this answer
I worked with similar connectors before and this is the correct answer! Just be sure to orient the cables correctly before connecting the metal pieces. – AndrejaKo Feb 22 '11 at 0:43
@AndrejaKo thanks for the advise. Be sure, this is not the first time i mess around with cables and hardware. I just used soldering before but this time I'm really considering buying the crimp tool. – Darokthar Feb 22 '11 at 20:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.