So I've designed an HTML template to send out some emails on. The code is fine, everything looks great there, and it tests just fantastically. I was sending out putting my recipients in the BCC field, but I decided to make it a little more personal and open the file in Word and do an email merge.
The HTML file itself is 3.06kb and contains an img src to an absolute URL, which is about 125kb (a little large, I know, but it's very important). When I merge the file from Word 2010 -> Outlook 2010, the email size jumps to about 250kb. It's not much, I know, but I'm a gigantic nerd and I'm stuck thinking it should be about 5kb with MIME overhead.
Here's the file list on one of the test emails:
File Size image001.png 104366 image002.gif 43 MESSAGE 1259 Mime.822 152575 TEXT.htm 5712
Since the img src is specified, I'm not sure why these are coming through. If this is an issue inherent to Outlook, I'd be happy to explore other options.