Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I still have lots of unallocated space at the end of my extended partition, but running short of space on the one and only primary partition where C resides. It happens that beyond the extended partition is unallocated space much larger than the present C. Rather than try merging extended partitions to get more space for C, is it simple to just create a new, larger, primary partition in the unallocated space, then move the the windows-XP Pro files to that larger primary? Would the system startup OK if the boot up sequence is just pointed at the name of the new drive, or would it need to be renamed as C? Is this the kind of move a novice could expect a disk cloning tool to do cleanly without a problem?

share|improve this question

Your simplest option would be to use Gparted to boot from then resize the partition.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.