I'm having the following problem: When redrawing text in 32-bit Windows 7 using the Classic Theme there's a very noticeable flicker. For instance, the 'length' meter in Notepad++, or the bit rate count in Foobar (for VBR files), and any other application that rewrites text in-place. It is extremely distracting as the whole message box containing the text flickers at the same rate I type.
Here is a small video (80 KB) of the issue. (recorded with my cell phone, excuse the poor quality). In case you can't see it because of the poor resolution, here's a still image of what you're looking at:
This did not happen on Windows XP and it doesn't happen in Seven if I use Aero, but this is not a solution as I want to use the classic NT theme. It does seem to happen on a Virtual Box VM running Windows 7 (without drivers but VirtualBox Guest Additions), but it DOES not seem to happen on a VM running Fedora 14.
- Athlon 64 X2 4600+
- Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H (Rev 1.0)
- 4 GB DDR2 PC6400
- Sapphire ATi HD4670 512MB DDR3 (750/1000Mhz)
- OCZ Agility 2 60GB (Drive running OS and other binaries)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
- Two Dell 2007WFP 1680x1050@60Hz (happens on both)
On the Performance Option tab, Use visual styles is disabled.
What I've tried -- unsuccessfully -- so far;
- Changing fonts
- Updating video driver to latest version (January 2011)
- Rolling back video driver to the version working in XP (October 2010)
- Changing resolution / color depth (the Reverting In (x) seconds flickers a lot!)
- Enabling / disabling ATi Overdrive
- Underclocking video memory to 800 MHz (after a suggestion posted on Tom's Hardware)