Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Move Windows XP to a new PC

I have a PC running Windows XP x86 and I want to transfer the current configuration to another PC.

My idea was to copy my info to an empty hard drive (or to a DVD-R that boots on another PC) and the empty drive was ready to put on another computer that automatically has XP with the same drivers, apps, and data.

share|improve this question

migrated from Mar 3 '11 at 13:40

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

marked as duplicate by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, studiohack Mar 4 '11 at 15:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Cloning the drive is a possibility, but it's going to work unless the computers have virtually identical hardware configurations. – Cody Gray Mar 3 '11 at 13:15
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If the two PCs are the same hardware, you can use Clonezilla Live CD to create a harddisk image and copy it over to the other PC.

  1. Read the documentation!
  2. Insert the Clonezilla Disk and boot from it
  3. Create a disk image and store it on the external drive
  4. Boot the other PC with Clonezilla
  5. Recover the disk image from the external drive
share|improve this answer
Note the options Clonezilla Live gives you during step 5 - you should use them to regenerate the computer's unique identifiers (else you could get two computers with the same internal ID, creating subtle bugs). – Piskvor Mar 3 '11 at 13:11
Haven't run into problems with this yet, even with multiple machines deployed and running at the same time, but thanks for the addendum. – slhck Mar 3 '11 at 13:14
@Piskvor: What are a computer's "unique identifiers"? I don't know what internal ID you are referring to. – Cody Gray Mar 3 '11 at 13:15
@Cody Gray: Sorry about the vague name, I didn't have to do this for several years, so I didn't recall the term exactly. The precise term is Machine SID. See also this: . Hmm, apparently MSFT denies that this would be a problem, and the author of a Windows utility which had the same functionality retracting his statement here:… (he did start working for MSFT in the meantime). So maybe it's not such a major problem. – Piskvor Mar 3 '11 at 13:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.