Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I type tick and backtick on Windows?

share|improve this question
It depends on your keyboard. On my (UK) keyboard the backtick ` is on the key immediately to the left of the 1 (assuming that's the character you mean). Not sure what you mean by the tick character though. –  ChrisF Mar 6 '11 at 23:08
What keyboard layout do you have? For US QWERTY, the backtick is they key to the left of the numeral "1". There is no "tick", but you may mean the single quote which on a US QWERTY keyboard is between the Enter key and the semicolon. –  Dennis Williamson Mar 6 '11 at 23:10
I need to know this for the screen based Windows 8 keyboard, so I have asked this again specifically about that keyboard: superuser.com/q/663134/166855 –  dumbledad Oct 23 '13 at 9:38
What you are looking for is an acute accent (´). –  JakeGould Feb 18 at 4:54
@JakeGould Interestingly enough the post you mention actually doesn't have the proper "alt code" for acute accent. –  Goblinlord Feb 18 at 5:24

2 Answers 2

up vote 54 down vote accepted


QWERTY and QWERTZ (Key that's been marked with red border. It's a dead key by default.)


AZERTY France (Alt Gr + Key that's been marked with red border)


AZERTY Belgium (Alt Gr + Key that's been marked with red border)

enter image description here


AZERTY Belgium (Alt Gr + Key that's been marked with red border)

enter image description here

Alt codes

There are no forwardtick keys available for the other keyboards, however an alt code exists (Hold left Alt and type the numbers on your num pad). The below codes should work on any keyboard.

Alt + 96 = `
Alt + 239 = ´
Alt + 39 = '

So if you want an ', you do the following: Hold left Alt, press 3, release 3 but still hold Alt, press 9, release 9, release Alt.

share|improve this answer
Visual aids, for a multitude of keyboard layouts, win. +1 –  Ian Boyd Mar 6 '11 at 23:57
@IanBoyd Thanks! ;) –  BloodPhilia Mar 6 '11 at 23:58
@indiv Thanks! I corrected it. –  BloodPhilia Mar 7 '11 at 10:11
-1 u put all this effort in getting the images,even a red border aroudn the key,but the relevant mark on the key is so tiny it's hard2see what it is and in some cases look like a dot or dirt on my screen!They r extremely unclear images with a highlighted border around a key creating the illusion of clarity cos normally a highlight around an area clearly shows the thing it is around.i'm not even sure that'forwardtick'is a proper name. And the pictures just show specks! That red speck on the belgium keyboard key has a black speck too.I can only just ascertain which direction red speck is going –  barlop Sep 30 '14 at 21:16
And the french keyboard image with the 7 and the e, and a tiny tiny little speck, that is the worst of all the bad pics you have there. Even clicking the image doesn't help in ascertaining what that character -you have highlighted- is!! Makes me wonder why you even bothered to highlight it. You may as well have said hit the 7 key it has a tick going one way or the other, that you want. Reading your answer carefully I see the french one is a bad tick , from titled backtick at the top, but the image doesn't help at all in showing whether it's back or forward. –  barlop Sep 30 '14 at 21:21

While Num Lock is enabled hold Alt and type 0180 on the keypad then release the Alt key. This will result in a forwardtick/acute accent.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.