I have this old kUbuntu box here, which used to be 8.04. For some reason after a bunch of upgrades and other unrelated changes sound doesn't work any more.
- Sound works on this machine when rebooting to Windows, so it's not hardware problem.
- It used to work on Linux on this machine before, so it's not weird hardware. (lspci says
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2))
- This problem persists across resets.
- alsamixer etc. claims sound is not muted, and volume is high.
- it's the same no matter which program I try to play some sounds (or which
-aofor mplayer, default seems to be
- nothing obvious shows up in system settings
Do I really need to reinstall the system to fix that, or is there something simple I'm missing?