Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I add cell padding (term related to HTML) to a paragraph in Word 2008 (for Mac).

Here is a screenshot of how my paragraph looks: Paragraph

How can I add space between the border and the characters?

share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted

"Cell padding" as such does not exist in Word, but you can try these: (I have Word 2007 2010 for Windows right now, but the commands should be similar)

  • Open Borders and Shading dialog (Ribbon -> Home Tab, Paragraph sub tab, click on the arrow near the "Borders" icon)
  • Click on "Borders and Shading"
  • Click on "Options..."
  • Adjust the values in "From text"

For the left and right "padding" the "Left Indent", "Right Indent" and "Hanging Indent" handles in the ruler may help (View Tab - > Show/Hide -> Ruler if the ruler is not visible)

(Unable to upload images from my workplace. Will upload from home later today)

Edit: Added images (realized after 3 years, screenshots from Word 2010, instructions pretty much the same) borders and shading options

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .