Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I remember with Windows XP, minimize used to be like alt m - n or something.

In Windows 7, it is Windows - Down.

The problem with that though is that you have to use both hands (the Window button is too far away from the directional buttons), which is kind of annoying because generally, one of my hands is on the mouse.

Is there any other keyboard to minimize a window besides Windows - Down in Windows 7?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The old one you're looking for (which still works) is Alt+Space, n.

For completeness's sake you can also minimize all with Win+M.

share|improve this answer
I also like Alt-Space-E-P in the console to paste, instead of reaching for the mouse. Totally unrelated to the OP's question, but hey :) – David Pope Mar 15 '11 at 3:27
Yep - another one (more related) is Alt+Space, m (then use arrow keys to move), for when windows are off-screen and can't be dragged. – Mark Sowul Mar 15 '11 at 10:52

While not a keyboard shortcut, you can also just shake a window with the mouse to minimize all other windows in Windows 7

share|improve this answer
Huh? Please elaborate or cite. – harpo Mar 11 '11 at 4:25
You could just try it? It's a new feature in the Windows 7 Aero interface. It doesn't really help the OPs question though – James Mar 11 '11 at 4:47
that's pretty weird! – RoboShop Mar 11 '11 at 5:33

The full list can be found at

(For other versions of Windows, )

On Explorer, F11 maximizes or minimizes the active window; but this may not work on other programs.

An alternative to Win+M that Mark proposed is Win+D to display the desktop, which effectively minimizes all the windows and is easier to type with one hand.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .