I got myself a brand new laptop with Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit.
I used it no problems for a couple of months, and then a strange thing began to happen:
- I press the On button.
- In 20 seconds or less, the Windows logon screen appears. I'm totally happy with this timing.
- I type in my password and press Enter.
- Welcome appears on the screen, and here begins the two minute pause. Nothing happens, there's almost no hard disk activity (it's my firewall writing to its log every second), the little blue circle is rotating to the left of the Welcome.
- Two minutes later my desktop appears, and all is well and good-performing as usual.
As you might imagine, the pause is quite irritating.
And it doesn't look like a performance problem. Rather, Windows seems to be waiting for a slow resource, without trying to do other things in the meanwhile.
I tried to figure out the reason for this but I apparently failed.
Here are some clues I had:
- I've got a firewall. The firewall service starts before the log in, with no pause. From firewall logs (that contain many interesting things on top of network events), I can see that there's indeed a two minutes pause within which firewall has nothing to log. Things like
EXPLORER.EXEall begin to launch after the pause has ended.
I've looked into the system journals (I created a view that combines all events happened around the logon time). The only interesting bit (which happens every day, on every "long" logon) is this:
14:10:17 -- I log in, credentials accepted, session created.
14:10:19 -- Resource-Exhaustion-Detector launched
14:12:07 -- Error ID 7006 from Service Control Manager:
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Type with the following error: Access denied
14:12:07 -- An Info message from UserPnp saying that adding a tunnel service (
system32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys) for the device
ROOT\*ISATAP\0000finished with the code: 5
Can anyone suggest a way to find out what is calling
ScRegSetValueExW and failing, and what device
I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction, so any other suggestions are welcome, too.
In case anyone wonders what I had installed before this started to happen: I installed Win7 Service Pack 1 and some other updates, but the problem didn't start happening right after that, it took several days for it to manifest itself.