I'm unable to access a Windows 7 (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) shared folder from an old Windows 98 box: I tried with:
- Turning on file and printer sharing
- Turning on public folder sharing
- Turning off password protected sharing
- Sharing the folder with read permissions to Everyone
- Lowering the encryption to 40-56 bits.
The shared folder works fine using it from Windows XP, and even from Linux with CIFS / Samba, but when I try to use it from Win98 with:
NET USE X: \\SERVER\SHARE
an user / password dialog pops up. I entered the administrator's user / password from my Windows 7 box, but it doesn't work (incorrect password). The same Win98 machine works fine accessing a Windows XP shared folder, so it looks like a Windows 7 networking issue.