Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been having bad luck with standard network 8P8C connectors. I've broken clips on almost all of my network cables and I even managed to break the part of receptacle on my modem which mates with the clip.

I know that the best way to solve the problem is to replace the receptacle and replace damaged connectors, but in the meantime I'm looking for ways to keep the jack inside the receptacle without relying on the clip.

Just to clarify the problem a bit: I do not want to glue the connector to the receptacle, so I'm looking for a non-permanent solution.

share|improve this question
"but in the meantime I'm looking for ways to keep the jack inside the receptacle without relying on the clip" - that's what SHE said! – Mar 16 '11 at 11:29
@taspeotis I'm sorry, I don't understand the context of your comment. – AndrejaKo Mar 16 '11 at 12:16
I suspect "That's what she said" may be an English colloquialism you're unfamiliar with.… – Shinrai Mar 16 '11 at 14:17
@Shinrai Thank you. It's much clearer now, – AndrejaKo Mar 16 '11 at 14:25
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I once saw an elastic band looped around the cable and then around the kit - works for small devices such as modems, desktop switches etc.

There you go - hot off the press from the L3K labs:

enter image description here



  • Start with two turns of clear adhesive tape around the cable just outside the connector.
  • Cut the tape so that there is enough length to stick to the body of the equipment.
  • Pinch the tape together into a 'cable', leaving enough end unpinched (about 10-15mm) for sticking to the equipment
  • Stick the unpinched bit to the equipment to anchor the connector in place.
  • Repeat the exercise so that you create another anchor to the body of the equipment on the opposite side to the first one.


  • A blob of hot melt glue, but make sure you don't melt the plastic case of the kit.

Expedient (unless the kit gets warm):

share|improve this answer
What's Bluetak? – AndrejaKo Mar 16 '11 at 12:17
wow, i thought bluetak was a world-wide term. – Sirex Mar 16 '11 at 13:06
I've only ever heard it called 'Sticky Tack'. – Shinrai Mar 16 '11 at 14:20
I finally managed to obtain rubber bands of pictured size and they work great! – AndrejaKo Mar 20 '11 at 10:53

Sounds like you need to bodge up a strain-relief or a redirect for the cables (letters 'o' in the diagram). Can you maybe use dowels, bits of coat-hanger wire, a key-ring tied to something, some existing part of the shelf the modem is on, duct-tape the cables to the top of the modem or to some part of the surrounding structure.... You did say this is temporary, right? :-)

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .