Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When doing an install of Linux Mint, I accidentally installed on a partition that already had data on it, so now that partition has a clean install of Mint instead of the data that was there before.

I was hoping that I could at least recover some of the data from this partition, so my questions would be what, if anything, could I recover, and how would I go about doing that?

share|improve this question
There are several programs that allow for erased data recovery, dont know how well it would work on an entire partition though. But I would recommend not booting into that partition until you do any recovery. It might work best to take out the drive and open the program and drive on a different machine. – a sandwhich Mar 17 '11 at 3:31
up vote 1 down vote accepted

As (a sandwhich) has mentioned, you probably don't want to boot into that partition. Instead, try a bootable image (CD/DVD or USB) such as the Ubuntu Rescue Remix[1]. They recommend various things to try[2] -- I've personally had some luck creating an image (onto another USB HDD) with ddrescue, then running foremost to recover particular file-types.

Hope that helps!



share|improve this answer
I unfortunately booted into the partition before I discovered the problem, but I've been able to recover some stuff. Only problem is that I seriously lack hard drive space and money. – AVbd Mar 20 '11 at 4:08

If your data is important enough to justify the cost ($500-$10,000 depending on time and difficulty) you can send it to a professional recovery service like DriveSavers

Otherwise, you can try your hand at TestDisk, though results are never guaranteed.

share|improve this answer
I wish I had that kind of money, but alas... – AVbd Mar 20 '11 at 4:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .