Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If you press alt-up and alt-down in the cursor jumps vertically through the document while staying within a column. Its movement seem unpredictable but I'm sure there's a use for it. Anyone know what it's for?

share|improve this question

migrated from Mar 20 '11 at 7:26

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

If you are talking about option and option, then the movement is probably to the beginning and end of paragraph. That is the standard Mac OS X key binding. I'm not sure how TextMate defines paragraphs, but that would be my guess.

share|improve this answer
When I was using TextMate I kind of assumed it jumped to the next "similar" line but, as they were a bit mysterious and unpredictable I didn't really use these shortcuts. – romainl Mar 19 '11 at 7:42

It is "column movement." In some contexts it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but when you have columns of data it works quite nicely to jump to the top and bottom of the column.

Use it with shift to make a columnar selection, allowing you to easily write the same thing to every line.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.