Years back I used Altiris SVS which is now Symantec Endpoint Virtualization and I liked it but I ended up switching to Sandboxie. It how since been updated by Symantec and I am considering switching back.
I have tried to read up on the "Symantec Virtualization Suite" but all the information that relates to what I want to know refers to "Altiris Software Virtualization Solution" which I remember being not nearly as put together as the updated Symantec version of it so I don't know if this information holds true still or not.
What I Want:
- Compatibility with as wide a variety of applications as possible as I plan on installing anything I can in the solution I end up using.
- Security as to keep my applications trapped away from infecting my system. Like a Browser exploit.
- Clean environment the less clutter the better so I can easily remove an application.
- Windows 7 x64 compatibility
Here are the list of Pros and Cons I have come up with so far. Please correct me if I am wrong and elaborate on why I am.
- Very Secure
- Highly Configurable
- Easily View What is Running under each box and terminate it if needed
- Not Free
- Not fully supported on x64
- Items are trapped or not, visible to only themselves or actually written to the system
- Clunky Interface
- File Structure is Messy
- Hard to backup for migration to new install.
Symantec Endpoint Virtualization
- Professional Grade
- Free for personal use
- Straight Forward interface
- Applications can interact with other applications files in different ways.
- Supported on Windows 7 x64
- Easy to backup
This is where I need help as I have not fully tested this solution. The information I found on other sites pertains to Altiris which is a really old version of it.
- Have To Disable all other Layers(Applications) to create a new one
- What files belong to what layer if any are unclear because it is transparent.
- Not as configurable as Sandboxie
- Traps files installed on the System Drive only???
From what I can tell as a general overview.
Sanboxie = Visible file redirection
Symantec EVS = Transparent file redirection
You may look over this an say the obvious choice is Symantec which is the one I am leaning towards but I cannot find any real information on how secure it is which is my main concern and why I am posting this. The information I see floating around about Altiris not the updated Symantec version says it is completely insecure and files easily leave the sandbox. I have installed it in a VM and tried to get files to jump out but I have no luck. If anyone has experience with this and could enlighten me as to how secure it is I would really appreciate it.
To be more to the point.
- What are some Pros and Cons not listed for each application?
- How secure is Symantec Endpoint Virtualization? Detailed information would be appreciated.