Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've installed Windows 7 on a new SSD and removed the old boot drive and am using it as a data drive. That old drive has a 100mb System Reserved partition which Disk Management shows as Healthy (Active, Primary) as well as a much larger data partition. The System Reserved partition is using drive letter E: and the data partition is using G:.

Windows Explorer is showing the System Reserved partition as an active E: drive which is pretty useless since that space really can't be used. Moreover, I need to assign E: to another drive. So, what's the best way to remove (or take "off-line") the System Reserved partition so I can re-assign E: and perhaps even recover the 100mb of space it is taking up (though that's less important).

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted
  1. Go to Computer Management
  2. Under Storage, select Disk Management
  3. Right-click on E:
  4. Select Delete Volume

If "Delete Volume" is disabled, then you will have to use something else like GParted.

share|improve this answer
Perfect. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Now, to recover the 100mb "unallocated", do I just "extend" the large data partition? It's giving me a warning that doing so will convert the basic disk to a "dynamic" disk. I don't care since this isn't a boot disk, correct? – jalperin Mar 25 '11 at 1:53
I'm not sure how it works with Disk Management. If you try this with GParted, I could be more helpful. :( – Zian Choy Apr 10 '11 at 0:52

Also, any ubuntu/deb livecd will have 'disk utility' which handles these kind of tasks easily. (no need to apt-get gparted if it's not already installed)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.