Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm user of a public wired network. My machine gets ip (always the same) from it. Now I want to connect to this network my phone (which is registered device in network and can get its own ip address). So I need my computer to be the bridge from eth0 to wlan0 more precisely.

I use archlinux OS.

                        [eth0] My computer [wlan0]
                  <---(wired)---'        `-,-'-(wirless)-,-'-> 
Public network (with Internet)                      My phone

How to make a bridge that allow my phone to connect 'directly'(bridged) to Public network?

PS. I'm not allowed to use NAT, and I'm not interested in buying any access points.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Looks like this is what you are trying to do here is the guide your wifi card needs to be capable of going into master mode if it cannot you will not be able to do what you are trying to. In that case you would need to get one that can but you should just get a router instead.

I would recommend getting a router either way as it creates a secure barrier between you and the public network you are on.

share|improve this answer
It not very public ;) it's only academic network. I'll try the tutorial. – damienix Mar 25 '11 at 15:55
When you don't have control over the other computers on the network it is public enough to be insecure :\ – Arctor Mar 25 '11 at 15:58
Unfortunately my wifi card doesn't support neither master nor repeater mode. – damienix Mar 25 '11 at 17:16
In that case I would try to setup your wifi card in ad-hoc with internet connection sharing to the ethernet port. Not sure how to do this but some googling and the archlinux wiki which is really nice should help you. – Arctor Mar 25 '11 at 19:40
Is it possible without NAT? – damienix Mar 25 '11 at 22:04

I suggest you to look about iptables. It will allow you to program your arch for packet routing.

Use google, you won't have trouble to find this. Just do a forward of all packets from one net to the other.

BTW your computer should be able to set up an adhoc network to handle the wireless connections.

share|improve this answer
That should work but he wants the phone directly bridged to the public network. – Arctor Mar 25 '11 at 16:26
Yes indeed, I was wondering if iptables could just forward all packets from wlan0 in monitoring mode. Basically the idea is to turn the PC into a AP repeater. – M'vy Mar 25 '11 at 16:33
My wifi card doesn't support repeater mode. To forward packets with iptables I probably would have to use NAT which doesn't interest me. – damienix Mar 25 '11 at 17:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.