Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

It is possible to select a single word by double clicking on any part of the word.

With only my keyboard, is it possible to select a word when the cursor is on or adjacent to the word?

share|improve this question
can you clarify? I don't understand what you mean by "word that is around cursor" – Jeff Atwood Mar 26 '11 at 11:32
Double clicking on a word normally does select the entire word - that's the normal behaviour. What application are you running? – ChrisF Mar 26 '11 at 11:37
Maybe you want to use the keyboard, rather than the mouse, to make the selection? – Arjan Mar 26 '11 at 11:59
I'm sorry I was in middle of writing and got interrupted and forgot to say about keyboard. – Jarek Mar 26 '11 at 13:42
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, with the mouse you just double click as you said.

With the keyboard you can use CTRL to jump one word at a time and CTRL+SHIFT to select a word.

share|improve this answer
:) easy peasy :) – Pitto Mar 26 '11 at 12:20
and if you want to be exact, you can use Shift + Keyboard arrows to select characters more precisely. – studiohack Mar 26 '11 at 16:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.