Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm interested in structured, authoritative documentation for Windows (7, Vista and XP). No click-here click-there guides, but terse technical documentation which defines terms. What kinds thereof exist and where can I get it? Is there a commandline-accessible documentation index?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by soandos, Mokubai, KronoS, Diogo, bwDraco Jul 17 '12 at 23:37

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The best guide available for many subjects is straight from Microsoft on Technet.

If however you want books, consider the sys admin's bible, the MS Press, Windows Resource Kits: enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much! Unfortunately it does not cover all terms (at least not localized ones). I get zero results for "systemkennzeichen" (part of an error message, could mean registry setting but I'm not sure) on – artistoex Mar 27 '11 at 13:36
@artistoex: Search things in English, you'll get a lot more results. A quick translation reveals either "system characteristic" or "license number system", so I think it most likely has something to do with licenses... – Tom Wijsman Apr 13 '11 at 10:32
@Tom This strategy has the flaw I wanted to avoid in the first place: In general, only Microsoft sources give reliable definitions for Microsoft terms. Same goes for reliable translations of Microsoft terms (German Micorsoft Term --> English Microsoft Term). My hope was: if there is a reference work in Microsoft ;-) English, it might also be available in Microsoft German. – artistoex Apr 13 '11 at 20:34
@artistoex I just found -- Might this be relevant? It looks like "system flag" is the original wording. – Daniel Beck Apr 14 '11 at 12:13
@Daniel It's been some time, but: thank you! Specifically that's exactly what I was looking for. But in general I don't feel like researching each single term in the future. – artistoex Jun 30 '11 at 14:20

There is also MSDN Online.

share|improve this answer
MSDN is a developer resource mainly, not a sysadmin one. – BloodPhilia Apr 19 '11 at 9:19
Whilst this may theoretically answer the question, it would be preferable to include the essential parts of the answer here, and provide the link for reference. – soandos Jul 16 '12 at 2:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .