I've built around 5 systems in my entire life. I've attached every chassis fan (case fan) on the 4-pin MOLEX connector ever since.
I've noticed that there is a 3-pin connector there, but assumed that it was for "older" PSUs but now, I've noticed that my board has a 3-pin CHA_FAN header (which, after further reading, can enable "fan control").
So my questions are:
- What exactly is the 3-pin used for?
- If I plug the 3-pin connector into the board, should I also plug the 4-pin molex?
- Why should I plug my case fans to the 3-pin header on the motherboard?
- If I have more than 1 case fan, can I daisy-chain the 3-pin connectors and plug it into the single 3-pin header on the board?
- If I plug the case fan into the 4-pin molex, what happens to fan-speed control?
- Why is fan-speed control important?