Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently saw the below wallpaper, which appears to have been created from this base image:

(Apparently the wallpaper is "glowing", like a fast-moving neon light).

I have some cartoony drawings which I would like to convert to a similar format. I have access to Photoshop if there is a filter out there that would do it, or Gimp, ImageMagick,, etc if there are some basic steps I could follow.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Extract contours by colour or intensity (see how-to select by histogram range). Invert them and add some glow. You can use motion blur or smudge tool to make it appear more dynamic. Put the glowing light above the original, add dark background, experiment with blending modes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.