I'm not sure what's going on, but my new Linux box is moving a lot slower than my MacBook on the same network. I've tried the following.
- Loading web pages in Firefox is about 10x slower
- dig is pretty fast (~20-150 msec on first run, then around 1 msec after that)
- time curl google.com | real = 0m0.116s
- ping google.com takes about 10.5 ms
I'm not sure what it could be, because I also compared those numbers with what I'm getting on the MacBook and it's about the same. I'm not sure what other metric I can look at to get a feel for what's going on. I think it might be related to the DNS lookup, not sure.