Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a PNG-8 image with transparency, which, due to this problem, I cannot edit in Photoshop (CS5).

Is there a tool that would convert PNG-8 back to PNG-24, preserving transparency layer, so that the file will open correctly in Photoshop?

(The other way to deal with that problem would be to capture a screenshot of any browser displaying that PNG-8 file correctly - but then it would be necessary to induce the transparency layer back, which I'm not sure how is done.)

Sample of PNG-8 image

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I don't know of any specific tool for that purpose, but I do know that with GIMP you can open the PNG8 and change the colorspace using the menu path Image->Mode->RGB. Unfortunately I do not have Photoshop to test if the new file is openable myself, however I've provided a version of the sample you provided where the colorspace has been changed so you can give it a try.

share|improve this answer
Awesome, thanks. GIMP beats Photoshop! – Igor Apr 2 '11 at 18:40
Needed this exact same file... thx from the future! ;) – luckykind Oct 7 '11 at 17:27

Photoshop displays transparency wrong: You've got PNG8 with alpha not supported by Photoshop. For editing, keep PNG in 24-bit, and convert to PNG8+alpha only when done. You can convert PNG8 to 24-bit by resaving it in, Fireworks or with: pngout -s1 -c6 -force file.png

The answer comes from under the troubleshooting heading.

I also created a YouTube video to show the process at

share|improve this answer
Thanks, Nick - already re-saved with GIMP from the above answer, but pngout may be a more optimal solution. – Igor Apr 7 '11 at 7:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.