Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Asked a question about replacing a CPU heatsink and it got closed. Before it was closed, got an answer saying to get a SOCKET-A heatsink. Is that all I need to know?

Here's a link to the question that was closed, which has specs on the type of system and heatsink that died(not posting it again, since it appears posting that info got the question closed) Fan on my heatsink is dead, what do I order?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

A "socket A heatsink" is a heatsink that fits on socket A. That's all you need to know...

I bet you just go to a store and buy a new heatsink for that specific socket. Or if you can put a new fan on it then just disassemble the fan from the heatsink and assemble a new fan on it; fans have standardized sizes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.