Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can type a minus (-), an en dash (–) and an em dash (—) easily, I often need hyphens (‐) though. Is there an easy keyboard shortcut? If not how else should I go about inserting hyphens into my prose? Thanks.

share|improve this question
Just curious: when typing in a word processor, one can simply press the minus key rather than the real hyphen, to get a hyphen the software understands, right? (, for example, uses auto-correct to turn a hyphen into a minus, when applicable. Pressing the key that gets one a minus in a simple editor, gets me a hyphen in and the like.) – Arjan Apr 6 '11 at 15:31
Yes, word processors usually replace a minus with the correct glyph for the context. – Max Howell Apr 6 '11 at 15:32
In fact, what you said was a minus (U+2D) is a hyphen-minus, which can represent many distinct characters but is usually rendered like a hyphen in a proportional-width font. A minus (−, U+2212) has the same width, height and thickness as a plus sign (e.g. −+−+−). If you want an exclusive hyphen, it is U+2010 (‐). – musiphil Jan 28 '14 at 5:20

It's a one-or-the-other solution, but you could use the built in text-replacement on OS X to replace a minus with a hyphen.

enter image description here

On the left I typed a minus, on the right I inserted a hyphen from the OS X Character Viewer. In theory it should replace all instances of a minus typed with a hyphen. As I said though, it's a one or the other solution. Alternatively, if you use the minus more than an en dash, just replace the en dash with a hyphen.

share|improve this answer

You can use Ukelele to create a custom keyboard layout (starting with the default Mac layout) which has the hyphen character in it.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .