Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm on a Dell Latitude D620.

I have two external monitors, one at 1920x1080 and the other at 1680x1050.

What do I need to display an extended desktop across these two external monitors? It's fine to leave the laptop screen blank. Is a VGA splitter sufficient or do I need a second video card?

share|improve this question

Check out UV plus displaylink adapter.

enter image description here

I have a UV12 (which will power up to 1440x900), and it works great! I can edit normal office related documents, write code, surf Internet. I can also play YouTube video without any problem. If you don't do 3D gaming, this is a little device for you.

share|improve this answer
Gave you a point for this suggestion. I recently got a USB speaker to counter my laptop's M.I.A.-happy integrated sound (Toshiba U305 S107). Yet I never even thought that USB add-on video-cards existed. It would be better in VGA-native style, but us beggars can't be choosers. – Vlueboy Apr 18 '11 at 7:19

You will need an additional video card or a laptop dock that has multiple VGA outputs. You can get a USB dock that has VGA outputs, or a USB Display Adapter, but those have very poor performance in my experience. If you have a PC Card or PC Card Express slot you would be further along to use one of those, but performance would still not be fantastic.

A VGA splitter will merely copy the signal.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.