Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way for me to easily find and mark with a dot the center point of an image/photo?

I have no specific requirements for what software to do this (though I currently only have access to Gimp and Photoshop CS3, I am willing to install others).

I prefer solutions that allow the following (but they're not hard requirements):

(1) I prefer it to work on Windows, Macs, and Linux machines.

(2) I prefer to mark the center point "non-destructively", i.e. I still like to have the original image without any marks (maybe through layers?).


share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Install ImageMagick. It has packages for Windows, OS X and Linux, although you may have to build from source using MacPorts for OS X.

Once installed, at a comand prompt type: composite -gravity center small-center-image.jpg original-image.jpg: new-image.jpg

This will overlay the small-center-image.jpg over the original image and save it under a new filename. Further examples of this particular command can be found here.

This is just barely scratching the surface of what the ImageMagick toolset can do. A full set of HTML documentation pages will be available on your computer with the install of the package.

share|improve this answer
I installed ImageMagick via MacPorts in OS X, but got the error "composite: no decode delegate for this image format". What does that mean? – hpy Apr 12 '11 at 20:56
The documentation is apparently wrong - remove the colon after the orignal-image name. Then it should work. Refer to this for details. – Scott McKinney Apr 14 '11 at 0:19
Ah yes that did it, and the compositing works fine now. Thank you for the answer! – hpy Apr 14 '11 at 18:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.