Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My work computer has access to IP-restricted resources within my company. I need (well, want) access to those from home. How do I go about connecting to my work machine and using it as a pass-through, just so I can get to internal system resources? Is this what VPN is for? Is there some stupid simple way to setup a VPN server to do what I want?

share|improve this question
Just because this is one of the most duplicated questions I see here I'm not going to put this as an answer. However: will do what you want. – Not Kyle stop stalking me Apr 14 '11 at 19:09
Talk to your IT support group. Going outside of the established boundaries and policies of your workplace to gain access to your work network from home using any unapproved method is ALWAYS a bad idea, regardless of your intent. Talk to them. If they don't allow it, there's a good reason. Forget it and move on. If there is an approved method and they see a reason for you to be able to use it, they'll help you get it set up. – BBlake Apr 14 '11 at 19:44

A workaround may be to install LogMeIn Free on your work computer and effectively take control of it from your home computer to do what you need to do. Your work computer would need to remain switched on for this to work.

As quite rightly put by BBlake in the comment above, I would seek advice from your IT department before you do this or you could end up in a lot of trouble.

share|improve this answer

Yes, a VPN is exactly what you need. OpenVPN is free.

share|improve this answer
But the IT department would have to set it up. A sane network administrator would not allow just anyone to enable it? – Arjan Apr 22 '11 at 12:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.