I'm looking for a NAS that meets my specific feature set and needs. My use case is a home user who needs to share file storage between multiple computers over a local network and still be able to connect to the NAS from the internet via my cable connection. I'm looking to have a security system that can support multiple users. Ideally the NAS can authentication from accounts on my "sever" conputer (a mac mini) but I would be OK with it handling security internally. All my devices are Apple, no PCs need to connect to this
For the external connection I am aware I'll have to setup port forwards and its not anything to do with the NAS it self.
General Breakdown of features - In order of importance.
- Supports APF - That is the Apple File protocol. Other protocols welcomed but not needed.
- Mutli-User support - I'm looking to have at a minimum 3 users, they should not have access to each others files
- Support 1TB to 6TB of usable storage.
- Raid support
- Be able to grow the storage size over time without loosing data
- Gigabit wired connection. Other connection types welcomed (usb/firewire/wirless/etc.) but wont be used.
Thats it. I am not looking to have this do anything other than be a NAS... no bit-torrent downloads, not a web server (though web configuration is fine), not a media (TV) center, etc. Also, I am not looking to build my own, I've done the build your own PC in the past and they work great but I don't have the time or the desire to go that route. I'm looking to plug it in, turn it on, and forget about it type of device.
I'm looking to spend $200.00 to $1,000.00 USD on the product. If the product is over a grand but you think it would be an ideal match, I would still be interested in hearing about it. I am aware of the Time Capsule products that apple offers. I currently own one and am not happy with the product.