Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a data collector device which has a RS-232 male port, and the PC which sends data to that device has also a COM (RS-232) male port.

For wiring I have a RS-232 cable (male to female) and a gender changer.

PC---gender changer------RS-232 cable---------data collector device

But it seems not work; the device is not receiving data. I assume that I may need a null modem cable. How can I solve this problem even without having a null modem cable? is there a software can change the wiring/pin assignment from PC side?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

You can get null modem adapters/cables for cheap these days, it's your best bet.

RS-232 ports are very much hardware-centric. You'd have better luck rewiring the pins on the motherboard than trying to find a motherboard that allows BIOS-level pin reassignment, let alone software-level.

You could possibly hack and rewire your serial cable into a null modem cable. Pin-out information is available here (amongst many other places). I wouldn't trust doing this, due to signal interference.

share|improve this answer

No. You will need a null modem cable. This cannot be done with software.

share|improve this answer

Hit your local electronic parts house and get a null-modem adapter. Replace the gender bender with the adapter and you should be set.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby, they carry them for about $13.00.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .