I'm using ubuntu 9.10 with kernel 2.6.31. In addition to the boot disk, I have a software raid of 5 disks using mdadm. One disk failed. I removed it from the array. mdadm --detail /dev/md0 shows:
0 8 17 0 active sync /dev/sdb1 1 8 33 1 active sync /dev/sdc1 2 8 49 2 active sync /dev/sdd1 3 0 0 3 removed 4 8 81 4 active sync /dev/sdf1
I installed a new disk in /dev/sde, but after I format it, I can't get the device /dev/sde1 to exist.
Then I reboot for good measure. After:
- I've tried fdisk, parted, and gparted. I get the same behavior after formatting in all programs.
- The partition is not listed in /proc/partitions
- There are no strange messages in /var/log/messages
- All drives are listed in BIOS, including SDE
- My dmesg output is available here: http://pastebin.com/BX6ya3qx
I'd add the /dev/sde1 manually with MAKEDEV, but this uses udev, so I don't know what to do. How do I get the /dev/sde1 device to appear?