Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering if its possible to make Word type like an iPhone. For example, on the iPhone, you press the space bar twice and it adds a period to the sentence. How could you do that in Word?

share|improve this question
I was gonna say you could use the AutoCorrect feature but it doesn't seem to add spaces only. – slhck May 2 '11 at 7:03
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You could use some Text Expansion software to do that. There is an article from Lifehacker about Text Expansion here.

I would try Texter first, as it seems to be the most lightweight and easy to use. First, download and install the program. Once it's running, press CTRL+SHIFT+H to bring up a window where you add a new expansion rule. Put a space as the 'hotstring', change the replacement text to a period, and then set the trigger to 'space'.

Alternatively, you could put a double space in the 'hotstring' and change the trigger to either 'Enter' or 'Tab', but the first method shouldn't cause any problems.

This also works across all applications, not just in Word!

Hope that helps!

share|improve this answer

The short answer is that that functionality doesn't exist for any versions of Microsoft Word.

Long answer is that you might be able to create a macro and make it's keyboard shortcut Alt+Shift+. (or whatever you want) and the only thing you would tell the macro to do is type ..

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .