NirCMD is a light-weight utility with quite a few nice features.
I setup a few desktop shortcuts (with Keyboard Shortcuts) on an alternate monitor (out of the way).
- Toggle System Mute (Shift-F11) C:\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2
- Increase Volume (Shift-F10) C:\nircmd.exe changesysvolume -5000
- Decrease Volume (Shift+F9) C:\nircmd.exe changesysvolume -5000
Finally, I also have shortcuts setup for calculator and the snipping tool:
- C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe (Shift+F8)
- %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe (Shift+F12)
Each of these keyboard shortcuts work from within other programs. Not bad for emergency Mutes, etc.