Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does a USB "A" to USB "A" adapter exist? I find USB 'A' to USB 'B' adapters like the one below USB A-to-USB B adapter

but I need one that has an 'A' adapter on both sides.

Clarification I have two cables that I would like to join together. Both cables are attached to something else on the other end. The end I have to work with is like the photo below. Is it possible to join the two cables together?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
What exactly are you trying to join together? Besides the two cables I mean... – Mokubai May 7 '11 at 22:22
There is a "crossover" cable designed specifically for machine-to-machine transfers. Used to come in a package with the associated software. Have not seen one recently, though. – Daniel R Hicks Jul 29 '13 at 0:45
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Male or female?

Here's some I found on Amazon:

For your future searching, the phrase gender changer really helps out.

Edited to add…

usb plugs

Three common USB plugs; from left to right: USB B, USB A female, USB A male.

share|improve this answer
No. I don't think that's the kind. I have 2 cables. Both have an end like this I need to join them together. – RHPT May 7 '11 at 5:24
@RHPT, Yes, the female-to-female adapter is the one. – Synetech May 7 '11 at 5:55
@Synetech-inc.I bought this this one and it didn't work. Isn't it the same? – RHPT May 7 '11 at 14:04
@RHPT what do you mean it didn't work? DID IT FIT. or DID IT NOT FIT? – barlop May 7 '11 at 22:27
I bought the one Dori linked to and it works. Thanks for all the help everyone. – RHPT May 12 '11 at 2:21

these are often cable extenders, or link cables with a circuit in between acting as virtual Bs, used for syncing/networking... between 2 computers, but now rarely seen because of the much more convenient LAN

A1 ↔ VirtualB1-VirtualB2 ↔ A2

share|improve this answer
Any reason for the downvote? USB is a host driven standard unlike firewire so you must have a host device to act as master. There's no way to connect two As or two Bs directly. You'll have to use a link cable with special device in the middle. Any direct A to A or B to B connector with the same gender is non-standard – Lưu Vĩnh Phúc Jun 28 '14 at 1:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.