Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an HP 2605n printer and every time I try to print the paper doesn't feed and the printer says it has a "paper jam". I've taken out the pick-up roller and cleaned it off, but it appears to be new and not smooth at all (very rubbery/bumpy).

I've noticed that I can sometimes force the printer to print by wiggling a small knob on the front of the paper tray up and down.enter image description here The printer also makes a squeaking sound unless I force it to print this way. Any ideas?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The knob is a paper gauge that shows content of the tray. Check the tray carefully for a small scrap of paper and the pickup area at the back of the tray. You may need a strong light. One small piece near a sensor will give grief. Check all paper rollers.

Is the toner an HP toner or a remanufactured one?

share|improve this answer
It is HP toner. Where is the sensor located? – 에이바 May 10 '11 at 14:58
I do not know without a manual for the printer. Each is different. Looking for a small piece of paper or a sign of damage would be my first step without a manual. – Dave M May 10 '11 at 15:09
I don't see anything wrong with it. I am able to take the tray out and hold down the lever that detects the tray and it looks as if everything is working properly but then it still says paper jam. – 에이바 May 10 '11 at 15:28
I was reading the manual and it says you can insert paper through the front of the tray. Doing this works, but printing from the tray itself does not. – 에이바 May 10 '11 at 15:37
That would point me to a problem with the tray or a sensor in the feed area for the tray. Check the mechanisim on the small knob you describe. That is somehow connected to a sensor that indicates if there is paper in the tray. A service manual will be needed to dive deeper into this. – Dave M May 10 '11 at 16:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.