Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On my Acer laptop if I hit Caps Lock it will pop up an OSD-like message saying something like "CAPS LOCK ON/OFF".

I find this very useful functionality - is there a generic freeware utility that can do this?

Edit: Here's the kind of OSD that Borek seems to mean. The is an power cable notification on my Asus laptop. Something similar for caps lock would be nice.

Asus Power OSD

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by DavidPostill, Nifle, Kevin Panko, Matthew Williams, Dave Jan 6 '15 at 12:27

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product, service, or learning material recommendations are off-topic because they become outdated quickly and attract opinion-based answers. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve. Share your research. Here are a few suggestions on how to properly ask this type of question." – DavidPostill, Nifle, Kevin Panko, Matthew Williams, Dave
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I know this is old and I can't add my answer because the issue is closed. But I do have an answer, I followed this video and it worked on my HP desktop even if it was built for Acer laptop haha – ghiscoding Dec 6 '15 at 17:22

There's a couple of utilities similar to this. I've usually recommended the (appropriately named) Caps Lock utility by George Jopling.

The indicator in the tray is unobtrusive and it works for caps or num lock. You can also have a sound played when the status of the keys are changed.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

If you would like a sound notification, Windows has a feature called "ToggleKeys" built in that can be enabled in keyboard options.

share|improve this answer
I've came across this utility but it doesn't seem to have On-screen display which is a requirement. – Borek May 11 '11 at 13:30
Your system tray isn't on screen? Or do you just want the big popup like notify-osd provides? – John T May 11 '11 at 13:58
The OP reads as wanting the big popup, yes. And besides, tray icons AREN'T always visible. What if you set your taskbar to autohide? What if you have a full-screen app that covers it? – Shinrai May 11 '11 at 14:45
@Shin thats why I asked :) – John T May 11 '11 at 15:06
Shinrai is right. On Acer laptops the CAPS LOCK notification looks like if you open a menu on some LCD display - it doesn't even use the Windows look and feel, it may be that Acer's driver is handling that, I don't know. – Borek May 12 '11 at 5:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .