I worked on a computer for a family member and got them a larger hard drive, going from 60GB to 320GB. I used Acronis True Image to copy the disk, and since I didn't have a USB enclosure for the bare drive I backed up the information in a .tib file to another USB drive that I had. After restoring the backup, the 320GB drive shows in Windows as a 60GB drive.
To remedy this, I've tried:
- Using the Disk Management tool to resize the partition; only one 60GB partition is visible, with no other volumes or empty space available
- Checking for volume shadow copies
- Making sure I didn't put the original drive back in :)
- Formatting drive before restoring backup
- Shredding the drive to remove any remnants of MBR, etc.
Every time, the drive shows up again as 60GB. I should also note that when the drive was first installed, it showed up as a 320GB drive, but has not done so since.
Fortunately, all the data is fine, but only a small portion of the drive is available. The main constraint is that I don't want to reinstall the applications - some of them (Libronix for one) are rather finicky and she had a nightmare getting them back onto the system last time she rebuilt. Any recommendations as to what I should do next?