Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is port forwarding and what is it used for?

HI, I would like to serve a webpage using port 80 publically but privately on my LAN it's available on port 90, now is it possible to handle this ? Currently my page is only available if the user specifies the port 90 after the IP address? I have a net gear router and can't seem to find anywhere to speificy a different private port.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Nifle, Sathya May 17 '11 at 3:42

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If your router firmware does not support using different internal and external ports, you can always see if DDWRT is compatible with your router, it will do what you need. – MaQleod May 16 '11 at 15:06
Thanks, I will have a look at that, looks interesting, – Rubans May 17 '11 at 8:18
Btw, all very well closing this topic as a duplicate but where is the original question, no clear sign posting to that on here as far as I can see. – Rubans May 17 '11 at 8:20
@Rubans The question(s) a question is deemed to be a duplicate of are listed at the to. In this case pointing to What is port forwarding and what is it used for?. – DMA57361 Aug 31 '11 at 12:40

This is easy, but, not a lot of home routers support it.

When setting up a new firewall rule, some give the option of external IP and internal IP.

I do not think that Netgear support this feature... Sorry!

share|improve this answer
I believe you are correct, seems only available in certain routers – Rubans May 17 '11 at 8:12

You should be able to redirect the external port 80 to the internal port 90.

As you didn't specify your model, you can look at how it works for your router.

If yours isn't listed, it might not support the feature.

share|improve this answer

Some NAT Routers can do it. Otherwise,

You need port translation software I don't know which.. this may do it

Softperfect Bandwidth Manager it's mentioned here and downloadable here

if you figure out how to use it, then you can post a better answer than mine! maybe there's other software too, that looks like a 30 day trial.

share|improve this answer
Thank you, will take a look at the software – Rubans May 16 '11 at 12:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .