Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there some kind of application for converting between various formats of disk image files (.img, .iso, ...)?

share|improve this question
img and iso are the same, just raw image with no meta data, but there are more formats ofc – Joakim Elofsson Aug 23 '09 at 22:22
@Joakim - Yes, of course. But, I just putted these as an example, because when I first worded the letter I forgot to say that I ment disk image files, so some assumed (logically) I ment pictures. – Rook Aug 23 '09 at 22:26
up vote 2 down vote accepted

MagicISO can do that. Not free though...

Simple and Intelligent

MagicISO is a powerful CD/DVD image file creating/editing/extracting tool. It can open / create / edit /extract CD/DVD image files, and it can convert bin to iso and back. as well as make ISO file from DVD/CD-ROM or hard disk, and handle bootable information at meanwhile.

Support all known CD image type

It can also convert BIN or any other format file created by CD burning software (Such as Nero-Burning ROM, Easy CD Create) or virtual DVD/CD-ROM driver software (such as Daemon-tools) to standard ISO format.

share|improve this answer
MagicISO is not free as in "free software", but they do have a freeware virtual CD-ROM called MagicDisc which allowed me to convert an IMG file into an ISO (that is, by opening the IMG file as a virtual CD, then saving it as ISO), which I could then read/mount using Linux. – anol Apr 11 '15 at 22:17

Try PowerISO.

Convert image files between ISO/BIN and other formats. PowerISO can convert almost all image file formats to standard ISO format file.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.