I recently installed Windows 7 on my PC and my Laptop.
I have a single Administrator level Account on each machine, with the same Account Name and Password.
I tried to access the Laptop's files from the PC using Windows Explorer. I typed in the Computer Name of the Laptop into the Windows Explorer bar (prefixed with double slash, and a single trailing slash like \\LAPTOP-NAME\).
To my surprise, all of the files from the Laptop's account appeared with read/write access seemingly being granted.
My question is: How is that possible?
- Both machines are on the same LAN
- Both machines are set to be in the "Home Network"
- Neither machine is a member of a Homegroup (no Homegroup exists on either machine).
- No folders have been manually shared.
- I haven't configured anything to do with Sharing on either machine.
- Windows Firewall is ON (both Home/Work and Public)
- UAC is set to default
Is it just that Windows 7 clever enough to see the 2 Accounts have the same Account Name and Password?
It is freaking me out and now I have to go check if the same is true if the Laptop is on a Public network connection!