I would like to set up a new server at home that should be able to perform the following tasks:
- Act as firewall/router/NAT for my home network
- Share lots of files, mostley music
- Misc. other stuff, webhosting etc.
I've previously used a FreeBSD box but it's running old and the hardware is failing. I would like to have a system with at least ~2TB of storage with appropriate redundancy/backup mechanisms (RAID, ...) in place. The only requirement I have is that it should be able to route the internet traffic (100mbit) without effort and I'd like the local network to be 1Gbit.
- Which OS is a good choice?
- What's a good solution for the storage?
- What's the minimum amount off memory needed?
- What else should I think about?
- Are there any good resources for info on the subject?