Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I set up my laptop I didn't know what I was doing and allocated too much disk space to my recovery partition (D: drive).

Now that I am a little more familiar with it I would like to know how to reassign some of the space back to my main partition (C: drive). How can I do this?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

share|improve this question
  1. Do a backup of important data
  2. Download and make a live (CD booting) copy of Parted Magic or download Unetbootin and make a bootable USB stick version of it
  3. Read the site documentation about using GParted
  4. Resize the desired partitions
share|improve this answer
+1 for mentioning GParted. +1,000 for mentioning backup first. – afrazier May 18 '11 at 13:08

This link might be able to help you. You might be able to do it right from Windows. If you have administrative access, you can resize the recovery partition.

Shrink a Partition

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Shrink Volume” from the menu.

shrinking a partition

However, if you can't, look into downloading a running a GParted Live CD.

share|improve this answer
That's not going to work. diskpart will only shrink free space available at the end of the partition, leaving the unallocated space at the end of the drive. It won't move the data so the newly unallocated space can be added to the C: drive. At least not without switching to Dynamic Disks and having the partitions spanned, but that has other issues. – afrazier May 18 '11 at 13:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.