Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Often I have problems with formatting in Notepad on Windows XP Home. For example hidden space between characters or line breaks.

When I copy text with broken formatting to another place, it all becomes in its true form and messed up - unneeded line breaks for example. Also formatting also sometimes becomes cluttered which s confusing when working with HTML/PHP codes.

What's going on and how can I fix this?

share|improve this question
Can you show us some screenshots or examples of what you are trying, what the expected result is and what you see instead? – slhck May 19 '11 at 21:31
@slhck: I suspect this might have something to do with the other editor using UNIX LF line breaks, instead of Windows CR + LF. – paradroid May 19 '11 at 22:04
@paradroid: It might also be that @Boris_yo is copying from .PDF files, which also frequently add extra spaces etc. – Charles Lindsay May 19 '11 at 22:14
a)Some of what you've said sounds like you're opening a text with its own carriage returns, and you've got Word Wrap. b)Another thing, regarding what people have said about windows/unix CRLF/LF Try opening it in wordpad that can read unix style line endings. c)Other than that perhaps funny high range unicode characters could play a role. I'd bet on 'b' then 'a'. – barlop May 19 '11 at 22:19
did you find a solution? – oleschri May 31 '11 at 10:32

Use Notepad++ (freeware) instead of Notepad.

Notepad++ will keep the correct line endings.

share|improve this answer
Not quite a solution though. – Boris_yo Aug 26 '11 at 6:38
Of course not if you changed your OS away from Windows ;) – oleschri Aug 26 '11 at 7:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.