Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a wireless network in my house, but it doesn't extend to all the rooms in my house. I was wondering if I could take an Ethernet cable from my current modem/router combination unit, and connect it to another router at the other end of the house, but have only one wireless network that was seamless.

If this is possible, can I have some pointers on how I could set this up?

share|improve this question
possible duplicate of How can I extend my wifi coverage? – Linker3000 May 23 '11 at 16:06

Yes, It's possible. You are looking for a Wireless access point.

In computer networking, a wireless access point (WAP) is a device that allows wireless devices to connect to a wired network using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or related standards. The WAP usually connects to a router (via a wired network), and can relay data between the wireless devices (such as computers or printers) and wired devices on the network.

share|improve this answer
How about the issue of having devices seamlessly change access points when it moves from one location to another? – Varun Madiath May 25 '11 at 14:15
If your device knows the AP's it should automatically connect to an available one if it loses connection to another one. – timbooo May 25 '11 at 14:52
Right, but what about choosing a new one, when the old one has a weak signal. And can both my access points have the same signal? – Varun Madiath May 26 '11 at 4:00

It is possible. For the new wireless router, just make sure you disable the DHCP server. Configure the SSID to be the same as your current modem/router and change the channel to something else as well.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .